Vietnam

Vietnam
Vivid headgears worn by Minorities @ Sapa Market

Hong Kong

Hong Kong
Mango dessert sold in Hoi Lau San @ Yau Ma Tei

Sarawak

Sarawak
Rare glimpse of Proboscis Monkey @ Bako National Park

Beijing

Beijing
A Blue & White (青花) Vase displayed @ Forbidden City

Bangkok (Sep '07)

Went to Seoul and Bangkok for my company's overseas audit from 05 Sep (Wed) till 13 Sep (Thur) together with my American colleague. During this period (09 Sep till 13 Sep) in Bangkok (曼谷), I had the chance to make some personal trips.

Business trip at a glance

Country: Kingdom of Thailand
Period: 09 Sep to 13 Sep 2007
Flight timings:
09 Sep: TG 659, ICN - BKK, ETD 0930 ETA 1305
13 Sep: SQ 979, BKK - SIN, ETD 1650 ETA 2015

Accommodation: Conrad Hotel, Bangkok (09 Sep to 13 Sep)
Currency exchange rate: THB 100 = SGD 4.45 (Sep '07 period)


Airline Review

Thai Airways

Was lucky to be assigned to first row of seats in the Economical class during the flight from Seoul to Bangkok, otherwise it will be too cramp for me. Sadly, there was no personal entertainment system, except for the music channel where you can select your type of music. In fact, there wasn't much choice; there were about 12 music channels and only one Chinese/Cantonese channel! I took my iPod out after listening to this channel for ½ hour.

I also noticed that the air stewardess did change their uniform from traditional Thai dress to modern flight uniform during the flight. Not too sure why this dress/uniform change was necessary? Only one main meal was served during the 5 hours 35-mins flight, and sandwich was served just before touch-down.

Snacks (left photo below) and main meal (right photo below) were served. I selected the choice of 'Mutton Ribs' for the main course.



Singapore Airlines

Flight was short from Bangkok to Singapore, only 2 hours 25 mins, which couldn't even watch a full-length movie! At least the audio menu did help to entertain me with some of the latest released Chinese albums. Always liked to add all my favorite tracks to the playlist and enjoyed them consecutively (left photo below).

Selected the choice of 'fried rice' for the meal served (right photo below).



Airport Review

Suvarnabhumi Airport

It was my first time to this new Suvarnabhumi Airport since its opening in Sep '06. The airport is spacious, and its interior decoration was both modern (photos below) and traditional (bottom photos). The IATA code for this airport is BKK.

This airport has lots of shops to walk around; definitely great for passengers like me to do last minute purchase of local food (photo below).


One surprise I saw was the stretch of marshes along the airways. These "Green Belts" in fact attracted lots of birds such as cattle egrets to nest there. Had been hearing that birds do pose a danger to aircraft engines during take off/landing. Seems to be a potential safety hazard to aircrafts as it is just beside the runway, unless someone could enlighten me otherwise.


Accommodation Review

Conrad Hotel, Bangkok


Located along Wireless Road where most of the foreign embassies can be found. It is not an easily accessible location; had to walk 10 - 15 mins to the nearest BTS station, Phloen Chit, and taxi would refuse to go 'Suam Lum' Night Market from hotel, which just need to walk about 15-mins.

Room was comfortable with soft pillows, cozy couch, and even a writing desk (photos below). Many luxuries items such as LCD TV, ipod player etc. were equipped in this room. Almost every night I would blast the room with my ipod while checking my company email; luckily didn't get complaint from the hotel.





Following is the short clip on my hotel room (video below).


Charges per room (Executive Suite) per night was THB 6,800 excluding THB 680 service-charge and THB 523.60 room tax (approximately SGD 360 in total per night). This cost had included a service upgrade of unlimited internet access, daily breakfast and high-tea. Due to my busy schedule, I only took the high-tea once (photos below).



Due to my tight schedule, I ordered a room-service dinner which costs THB 612.04 (photo below). Taste was good and comparable to standard restaurant.


There was a little Conrad elephant which my colleague exchanged my original blue elephant (left photo below) with the red one (right photo below).



Another thoughtful gesture was the daily supply of selected Thai local fruits in my room (photos below).




Rest and Relax (R&R) Review

Suam Lum Night Market

    Went to Suam Lum Night Market on the day upon arrival. As the market only opens at night, I only started walking about 5 pm, and still many stored have not opened. However from my experience, this was the best time to go if you wanted to bargain hard, especially those that just opened and you happened to be the first customer. I got my two "rooster" bowls with chopsticks for only THB 100 without much effort. After I've paid, the lady boss uses this 100 baht dollar note to brush through the rest of her porcelain kitchenware while chanting for good business. Maybe that was the "power" of first customer!

    Didn't notice the big canopy of food stalls (left photo below) and replica of Angkor's temples (right photo below) when I was there two years ago. It's a pity that this night market will close soon as the land will be taken back to re-develop this place into a shopping mall.


Mahboonkrong (MBK) Center

    Had only one full R&R day by myself. Took BTS to MBK at 10 am and walk through all the major shopping malls around that area till 4 pm. Very tired but fulfilling, because got some relatively cheap Adidas cloths and manage to acquire my 'long-searching' collection at MBK!

Central World Bangkok

    It was my first time I went to the Central mall; nothing much interesting except it is big and with many rather "high-class" shops. Brahmanism and Hinduism scriptures were common outside big shopping malls. Offerings were made to Trimurti statue (left photo below) and Shrine to Ganesh (right photo below).


Dinner at American Fine-dining

    Had to rush back to hotel to have dinner with my colleagues. Tried an restaurant behind Conrad called 'American Fine-dining'; food was average but service was poor. Their waiter couldn't recall what we've ordered for desserts. Would not recommend this restaurant.

Maybe it was Monsoon season, it rained everyday throughout the 4 days in the evening period. One thing that I've missed in this trip was Thai message. Will definitely go for it when visiting Bangkok next time.
 

Copyright © 2010 ·Travel to relax, eat and shop ...... All rights reserved.